Dr. Furtado started his career as a protein biochemist then trained as a molecular virologist. He was a faculty member and CLIA service laboratory director at Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago. He switched to the biotechnology industry working for Applied Biosystems and became adept at translating early ideas and concepts into revenue generating product lines that delight customers and improve human health and safety. In the process he helped establish several business units in the Applied Sciences and Diagnostics areas, lead global R & D teams for product development, managed collaborations globally with academic thought leaders, established partnerships with other companies, participated in acquisitions, published extensively in scientific journals, participated actively in professional organizations, helped write guidance documents for clinical diagnostics and presented for the company at numerous scientific meetings and to other companies. Dr. Furtado was appointed by Secretary Sibelius to the National Biodefense Science Board and is responsible for policy decisions related to situational awareness, biosurveillance and emergency medical countermeasures. Recently, he started Biology for Global Good LLC as a consulting service company and is a consultant to several diagnostic companies that want to define clinically relevant applications for novel technologies. He is passionate about building applications that improve human health & safety.
Dr. Furtado is a highly energetic and motivated individual with long term vision and an established track record for creating a wide spectrum of products that improve the human condition. He is an experienced leader for research programs, product development and customer interactions in the regulated and RUO markets. He has launched multiple, innovative, revenue generating product lines in the Molecular Diagnostics, Genomic Assays and Applied Markets (human identification, bio-threat detection, public safety, food safety, animal health and environmental testing) areas that generated over 500 M in revenue in 2012. He helped establish productive long-term collaborations with a broad range of academic, government, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and professional organizations leading to generation of intellectual property, product ideas, publications, policy documents and scientific presentation of company programs at meetings and to other business entities.
Work Experience & Core Competencies (Click to Expand)
- 12.5 years at Applied Biosystems/Celera Diagnostics/Life Technologies actively leading highly talented global development teams, customer collaborations and research investigations to ensure efficient manufacturing, commercialization and support of cutting edge products. Managed R & D budgets in the 6 M range. Commercialized products that generated over USD 500 M in revenue annually in 2012.
- 15+ years experience working in the Life Sciences domain in teaching, academic research, clinical research, managing biotechnology and CLIA certified clinical service laboratories.
- Proven ability to assemble and work with a diverse group of individuals in cross-functional teams to enable timely and cost-efficient product launch and regulatory clearance from the FDA, AOAC, AFNOR, USDA, SWGDAM etc.
- Managed collaborations & interactions with KOLs, regulatory agencies and organizations like the CDC, AMP, CLSI, USDA, HPA, VLA, AAFS, PDA, IDSA, ATCC etc.
- Establishing long term strategic vision, portfolio management systems, organization development programs, talent retention /development programs, M & A activity and acquisition of external intellectual property and capabilities.
- Helped implement and practice QSR, GLP, GMP and GCP guidelines within Molecular Diagnostics. Chaired the Manufacturing Process Validation Committee at Celera Dx. Communicated with the FDA and participated in inspections
- Initiated and managed collaborations and interactions with KOLs, regulatory agencies and organizations resulting in peer-reviewed publications, public presentations and co-authoring of policy documents.
- Established cutting edge, funded research programs at NUMS that resulted in key findings related to HIV-1 transmission, latency and expression in blood. Publications in Science & NEJM and press release from the NIH. Thorough technical knowledge molecular biology, microbiology & cell culture methods, expression systems, genetic identification systems, sample preparation, automation, immunoassays, PCR, Sequencing and NGS platforms.
- Thorough understanding of the customer needs, gained through collaborations, interviews and participation in Design Control, VOC, UCI and DFSS activities.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to compile data for writing regulatory submissions.
- Subject matter expertise in areas of Infectious Diseases, Cancer, Genetics, microbial genomics, gene expression profiling, translational and transcriptional control of genes, human ID and microbial ID as evidenced by patent filings, over 90 publications and 200 presentations (see attached list). Presented for the company at several national and international meetings ASM, AACR, PDA, AMP, AAVLD, ISFG, Keystone, IDSA, AAFS, ASHG, IAFS, CSH etc.
- Experience working with pathologists, oncologists, infectious disease experts, health administration as well as major diagnostic companies to define clinical utility and test implementation criteria at CLIA labs in major medical centers.
- Experience in building & managing global R & D teams (Foster City, Benicia, Austin, Singapore & India), hiring, coaching, developing and retaining key talent, managing workplace conflict and ensuring a high level of productivity.
- Focus on developing complete solutions and working to integrate reagent, instrument, software systems and interpretation reports to provide customers with an easy to use system.
- Over 15 years in teaching, conducting externally funded basic and clinical research in academic settings.
Product Commercialization, R & D Management, Molecular Diagnostics, Companion Diagnostics, Microbiology, Infectious Diseases, Oncology, Applied Genetics, Public Health, Human Identification, Paternity, Cell Biology, Service Lab Management.
Sanger Sequencing, Next Generation Sequencing, Fragment Analysis/length polymorphisms, Gene expression analysis, Microarrays, qPCR, Protein chemistry, cell culture methods, protein expression strategies, Hybridization methods, Immunoassays, Proximity Ligation Assays, protein binding analysis.